Saturday, February 7, 2015

5 More Months of School!

So, I know that my last post was about a year ago, which is right when I started Bellus Academy. I can't believe how fast 2014 flew by, which I am grateful for. Working Full time and going to school full time is kind of exhausting. But hey, I know all this sacrificing my family and I have had to deal with will all be worth it in the end.

Recap of the past year of beauty school... The first 3 months are what they call a Discovery phase. In this phase we learn about all the State Board regulations. :: shiver:: State Board is kind of a scary and very stressful test. The next 3 months they call the Inspiration phase. In this phase is where we learned all of the technical aspects of cutting and coloring. I learned the Wella Color chart, super overwhelming at first but once you do something over and over you remember it. Cutting was also a challenge because I had to learn how to cut "palm to palm". This cutting style will help prevent carpal tunnel later on in life. I took an extra course called Be Creative. In this class I broke all of the rules that I learned in the previous 3 months. I learned how to cut the totally opposite way, played with creative color. At the end of it we had a photo shoot to end the 6 week class. Was it worth the extra money? Heck yeah it was! I loved the Be Creative class, it definitely helped me be more confident in what I was doing.

I'm currently in my 2nd to last phase of school, which is the Floor phase. This is where I am currently taking clients, cutting and coloring hair. People always ask me - What do you like doing better? Cutting or Coloring? To be honest with you I like doing both! I don't like one or the other more. The last phase of school is what's called State Board. This is where you're blocked off from working on clients to study for our State Board test. The test is about 4 1/2 hours long... Yes I said hours. It consists of practical, which is the physical aspect, and the written, self explanatory this is the written test portion.

I'm happy with school and almost being done. There are certain things that probably need to change. Of course when you go to school full of girls, there's bound to be drama. Thankfully I mind my own business and do my own thing. I have made some life long friends and am grateful to have crossed paths with these amazing people. Overall, school is great. I've learned so much about Cosmetology, things that I didn't even know pertained to becoming a Cosmetologist.  Here's a few questions you can ask yourself, because I ask myself all the time; What are you going to school for? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think? I would love to hear your thoughts =)